Bennett Galleries – Nashville, Tennessee | October 2007
redefined (rē di ‘fīnd) v. given a new or different definition
But a single word can create different feelings for each individual depending on their experience and their journey. In this show I have asked friend and music artist Ronnie Freeman to join me in redefining words that are significant to me – define them from the heart more than the head, from experience more than instruction. Each painting is a “visual” definition of a word – a definition drawn from walking this walk together called “life” – a definition meant to inspire thought in the viewer’s mind and put hope in their heart.
Each painting opens the door and welcomes the viewer to look at the image through the lens of the journey, contemplate what it means to them and once again let the word be “redefined.”
known (nōn) vt.
- seeing what’s on the inside
- no more secrets
trust (trəst) n.
- assured that someone much greater than me is holding me up and will not let me go
- letting go of control
comfort (kəm fərt) vt.
- knowing it’s not about me
- being at peace knowing I am standing on that which will not crumble
- found on a back porch in mid-autumn holding a fresh cup of coffee, watching the sun rise
- a heavenly gift often found in the simple things
consider (kənˈ’si dər) vt.
- think about it
- beyond what we can ask or imagine
faith (fāth) n.
- knowing I might be broken but will never be crushed
- God’s adventure for all mankind
broken (brō kən) vt.
- where healing begins
fear (fir) n.
- when the dark clouds move in and I don’t believe there is light on the other side
- the moment cicumstances over-shadow faith
- possibly the most effective weapon of the enemy to keep those who live by it from ever experiencing the adventure of faith
heal (hēl) vt.
- when the ointment of sacred companions pours on the open wounds of life
- the wonderful miracle we get to witness when we tell the truth about ourselves without pretension
peace (pēs) n.
- releasing fear
- feeling the healing waters flow over me, knowing they will cleanse me, not drown me
- being content
- the result of trusting
forgiven (fərˈ’gi vən) vt.
- a clean slate
- white as snow
- all things new
restores (ri ‘stôrs) vt.
- fills back up, even to overflowing
- repairs and makes stronger than before
- getting back what was lost
abundance (ə-bŭn ‘dəns) n.
- more than I can wrap my arms around
- more than I need
home (hōm) n.
- the place where I belong
- my heart’s desire
- my destination at the end of my day and at the end of my life
- wherever we feel the most safe, cared for and loved
goodness (gud nəs) n.
- generosity and mystery walking hand in hand
- the attribute of God that paints the picture of a father who loves to give his children gifts – just because
gift (gift) n.
- something given to me that I didn’t even know I needed
- just what I needed
- that which I must learn to receive
grace (grās) n.
- a free gift
- a gift that frees
- my wife and two daughters
- heaven on earth
- what frees us from trying to be good enough
- no more sacrifices